Tuesday 21 February 2017

Oooh, heaven is a place on yurt

Well, Ziggy had a trip to the vet yesterday.  We keep looking at him - the giant cone, the sad, confused eyes, the lethargy - and saying, "I'm sorry!  I'm so sorry!".  So, I bought him a new stuffy out of guilt.  Also, he finally destroyed the last one on Saturday.  They have each had an average lifespan of 2 months, but the last one only made it 2 weeks.  The chew is strong in this one.

So anyway, we pulled out his baby teeth and cut off his -- 

"I'm okay!  As long as still have my.... wait, WHAT????"

For some reason, my yurt photos have not uploaded onto Dropbox (will fix by tapping on screen and yelling, "WHYYY??" soon), but let me just tell you how and why I spent two days in the wintry woods alone and loved every minute of it.

I found it on CottagesInCanada.com, a quiet little getaway with no plumbing, no heating, and a teeny little bit of electricity - enough for LED fairy lights and an iPod and that's all.  The yurt was small but very spacious for one, warm (she had started the woodstove before I arrived), and a perfect retreat.

I drove to the owner's house in a blizzard, and she loaded me and my two bags (one for clothes, one for just wine food and wine) onto the back of her snowmobile, and drove me into the woods for about 10 minutes.  I split my two precious days between stoking/restarting the woodstove, showshoeing, shoveling paths from yurt to woodshed to outhouse to kitchen shed, yoga, starting/stoking/despairing/celebrating the victory of barrel-sauna fire, scrubbing down with snow, and reading, reading, reading.  Also, there may have been a bit of wine-drinking.  I heated the kettle on the stove for oatmeal and tea, simmered soup, and melted snow for washing dishes, all while blissfully alone.

During that time, I thought (briefly and somewhat fondly) of my family.  I missed Ziggy.  I think I came to terms with a few goals I've set for myself, as well as a few major life changes that are winding down and, of course, ramping up, because we can't possibly have a year where NOTHING HAPPENS.  

We live, as they say, in interesting times.

I also wrote a bit:  journalled, planned, and worked hard on my guestbook entry, because others before me had set the bar so high.  I thought I knew what time it was, and that I was being so decadent, staying up till midnight and getting up at 10 -- but I found out on the last day that the clock was off by 3 hours, and I was, in fact, going to bed at 9 and getting up at 7.  Such a rebel.

So, after two days of peace, playing with fire, and giddiness, I know what I want:  to write, to challenge myself physically more often (the snowshoe up Heartattack Hill was painful and exhilarating), to travel, and to have the opportunity for solitude more often.  

I have two short weeks left of mat leave, and I'm going to make some of those things happen during that time.  Tomorrow, by going to le Nordik for the day (solitude/physical connection with self), followed by date night ball hockey (aka "divorceball").  The rest will be revealed as it comes along. 

And, of course, there's this:  https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=iiYblmJ0AA4

No comments:

Favourite posts